Tomato Avocado Feta Crostini. A simple, light fresh and delicious appetizer course, hors d’oeuvre, or even a light lunch.
A friend was throwing a dinner party and I was helping him plan the menu. The first course he had planned though, seemed far too heavy to me for the main course that he planned to serve afterward.
An appetizer course should whet the appetite and not satisfy it. It should be a harbinger of good things to come. The way to do that is to keep it small, fresh, simple and delicious.
When I asked what he had on hand in the fridge, he listed a number of things, including the ingredients for this straightforward recipe. I made this suggestion to him and next morning he called to say that it was a great success.
This Tomato Avocado Feta Crostini recipe is a quick, fresh idea for a simple starter course or hors d’oeuvre that’s perfect for a casual summer barbecue or dinner party. It’s also perfect for a light lunch.
For the topping:
- 1 large avocado diced
- 6 ounces feta diced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped optional
For the Garlic Crostini:
- garlic oil
- 8 slices French baguette
For the Balsamic Syrup:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
To prepare the topping for the crostini:
- Simply toss all ingredients together and chill until ready to serve.
To prepare the Garlic Crostini:
- Simply brush garlic oil on both sides of the bread and then toast them in a panini press or under the broiler.
To prepare the Balsamic Syrup:
- Simmer together until large bubbles form and the liquid coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Drizzle over the tomato, avocado and feta topping.